Processed meat is popular than ever, particularly for breakfast in Filipino diet. This guide will show you how to make corned beef (a salt cured beef), how to make tapa (dried beef), and how to make tocino (marinated meat). Each of this has a video guide below.
HOW TO MAKE CORNED BEEF
beef (punta y pecho, tadyang,
tapadera or paypay) - 1 kg
salt - 2 tbsp
vetsin (optional) -1/2 tsp
prague powder - 1/2 tsp
sugar 1 tsp
ascorbic acid (250 mg) - 1/2 tablet
fork pressure cooker
chopping board mixing bowl
1. Wash meat thoroughly.
2. Cut the meat into 2.54 cm (1 inch) cubes.
3. Mix salt, vetsin, prague powder, sugar and ascorbic acid.
4. Mix curing ingredients with the cubed meat.
5. Place in covered container and cure in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
6. Wash the meat, add water (1/3 of its volume) and cook for 20 minutes. Remove the foam like formation on the broth.
7. Continue boiling until meat is soft and tender.
8. For faster cooking use a pressure cooker and cook beef for 30 minutes at 10-lb. pressure.
9. Drain and cool.
10. Flake with fork (the flaked meat is ready for consumption).
11. Pack meat into bottles/cans and add 1 T broth, leave 0.63 cm (1/4 inch) head space.
12. Exhaust at 82 degrees C.
14. Process at 10-lb. pressure for 40 minutes.
15. Cool cans under running water; air cool bottles at room temperature.
16. Label and store in a cool place.
HOW TO MAKE TAPA (DRIED MEAT)
beef - 1 kg
salt - 3 tbsp
sugar - 3 and 1/2 tbsp
prague powder - 1/2 tsp
vetsin (optional) - 1/2 tsp
garlic - 1 and 1/2 tsp
ground pepper - 1/4 to 1/2 tsp
1. Slice mat 1/8 - 1/2 cm thick.
2. For every kilo of sliced meat, mix salt, sugar and other ingredients.
3. Pierce meat with bamboo sticks and dry under the sun.
4. Place dried meat in clean container.
5. Store at room temperature for 2 days in a clean dry place.
HOW TO MAKE TOCINO
pork (kasim or pigi) - 1 kg
salt - 2 tbsp.
sugar - 5-8 tbsp.
rhum or gin - 1 tbsp.
prague powder - 1/4 to 1/2 tsp.
vetsin (optional) - 1 tsp.
ascorbic acid (250 mg) - 1/2 Tablet
1. Slice meat to about 0.63 cm (1/4 inch) thick.
2. Mix all above ingredients for curing.
3. Rub the mixture on both sides of the slices and re-mix all to allow even distribution of curing mixture.
4. Arrange the pieces in a bowl and cover.
5. Keep at room temperature for 12 hours or in the refrigerator for 3 days to cure (the slices may be dried under the sun after curing to prolong shelf life).
Here is a video guide how this is done:
Source: dost.gov.ph, photo from sanmiguel.com.ph
Siomai or Shumai are dumplings served in dim sum. The most common are pork siomai; there is also beef siomai, shrimp siomai, and combi...
RAW MATERIALS : fresh fish - any of the following species: kalaso, dalagang bukid, labahita, shark, bidbid, torsillo and bisugo Ingredients:...
I actually read a few blogs a day, and there are many that I can recommend. For this site, I want to repost Moks entry in his blog bec...